Monday 29 July 2013

This is not for you

I started writing something today which I hope you'll like, but unfortunately it isn't finished, so until I have something new, here, somewhat revised, is a poem I wrote a while back. If you read 'Love in the time of chip shops', this was written in the aftermath of that relationship. I hope you like it.

This is not for you


Don't believe that you were the love of my life
From the first time I kissed you until the day I died

Don't believe that I would have waited all night in the rain for a glimpse of you,
A
nd turned my back on all who love me for one last kiss

Don't believe that after all this time, I still wake in the night
And smell your hair and taste you on my tongue

Don't believe that when I kissed your sleeping lips and woke you
I knew that I was home

Don't believe that I would forgive you anything, give you everything,
Never leave you, betray you or ever make you cry

Don't believe that I would have picked you up again
No matter how often you fell

Don't believe that your eyes made my heart sing
And that now I have no music left

Don't believe that you gave me my greatest joy and my worst despair
And that I lived my life in those few short months with you

Don't believe, though all of it is true
Cross my broken heart.

1 comment: